Skip to main content

The Blizzard

Sadness binds us all together.

In our lives, we all crave approval, either from within or from the others. I don't advocate either, but I feel that we need it nonetheless.

Feelings are a part of who we are, and sadness a part of those feelings. When someone you know or love is sad, the first instinct that comes to you (regardless of whether you act upon it or not) is that of empathy. Empathy is a component of our limbic system, an inseparable one in that. I, for one, believe that we humans are humans because of this small, but significant, part of our central nervous system.

Coming back to sadness and its relationship with the humanness we all carry. The saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" is an optimistic take on this issue. Every human needs an inspiration, an idol, a motivator, when they need to deal with their sadness and grief.

"How does he/she do it! How can he control his/her tears when watching a tearjerker! I gotta learn a thing or two from him/her..."

More than a few of us have experienced this. A person who always seems to be in control of his/her emotions. But the secret is, no person can be that emotionless. Well, that is unless you are a psychopath with no remorse. Nonetheless, when a person is sad, at least a few people (at least one) try to be at his/her side, sooner or later.

All of this happens in that small section of the tiny section of your limbic system. And mind, a bitch that it is, will always want you to take a decision. A decision to reflect it all. A decision to mend it all. A decision to cure you off your past. A decision to make you a better person.

The poetry I have written herewith is a small figment of my recent past. An outlet for my emotional turmoil. A caricature of my self loathe. It's called "The Blizzard." A phenomenon that can best describe the cloudiness of my mind.

Breaking twigs, crunching dreams
Soulless wonders, gutless greens
Farthest stretching on the land are these
And the wind is softly crushing all my dreams

A blizzard comes along
Strong and sour like a mouthful of lye
Brings back all my misplaced memories
The memories lost with broken dreams

Baffled sun strokes the clouds
Peers through in my deepest doubts
Condones my barren shout
Buries himself in my cold chested bounds

I need no one, I want no one
No hand to take me there
No hand for me to take
Hope I won't stay sunken in my sadness
Always this way...

Thank you for reading. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Sometimes

The other day, after watching Dhobi Ghat for the second time, Netflix suggested that I watch a Tamil movie called Sometimes (Tamil: Sila Samayangalil ). Interested by its plot, I decided to start watching this seemingly somber film. Well, I wasn’t disappointed, but neither was I amazed. I got what I expected. Before we get to that, I think I should dive a little deeper into the plot. Seven strangers, waiting in a blood test center’s waiting room for their HIV test results, decide to bribe the counter lady so that they can get to know their results as soon as possible. The counter lady finds out only half the information—one of the seven people is HIV-positive. Rather than relieving their stress, it increases the protagonists’ necessity to know the results. This is the basic plot, literally the one displayed on Netflix.  This 2018 movie has the coveted Prakash Raj and Nasser. Prakash Raj, as usual, gives a stellar performance, whereas Nasser is present on screen for barely five mi

People in My Life

I can't give up on people. Why you ask? It's my mind that rules my thoughts. My fucking ingeniously stupid mind! It never lets me give up, ever. Many a person have come into my life, some have stayed, some have abandoned me, and some I have abandoned. But, all have left memories, memories that I regret or love, or both. Some have been formative, defined who I am. Memories that have shown me how to live a life, may it be the distant memory of the class-trip to Nepal or the recent Wall Art Festival/noco Project memories. All have defined me in someway or the other. This is the reason I am unable to give up. People, knowingly or unknowingly, make me who I am, define what I am, show me my positives, indicate my negatives. They judge me, abuse/misuse me, take my heart and throw it into the gutter or trample it. But, they may also protect it with their life, give me the love I long for. I am happy to have found the people that exist in my small bubble of knowledge. T

I am Back!

After a dry spell and major writer’s block, I have decided to revamp my blog a bit. Nothing interests me more than watching movies and commenting on how wonderful or disappointing they were. Not that I am an expert from the film industry or a film reviewer by profession. But I am a viewer, with a potentially liberal opinion. So, I will try to be as considerate yet firm as possible in my reviews. Do not worry, as I will try to post other stuff as well—writings, poems, and such. In short, my kind readers, I am back with a possible bang. I will try to be regular, I promise.